The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister #1) by Courtney Milan

The Duchess War - Courtney Milan

“Do not pollute my perfectly acceptable figurative speech with irrelevant facts!”

*** ABOUT THE BOOK ***

Title: The Duchess War (Brothers Sinister #1)

Author: Courtney Milan

Genre: Historical Romance

Goodreads Amazon

*** BOOK BLURB ***

Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly—so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention.

But that is precisely what she gets.

Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he’s up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he’s determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match...

*** REVIEW ***

It was definitely unique historical romances. Author clever uses time period to provide background for the characters and give them a purpose.  Some of the issues brought up: radical politics, organized labor, Darwinism and more. Which reminded me on of my favorite period tv series - North & South.

And characters themselves weren't usual too. At first glance they don't have anything in common and relationship between them shouldn't work. But it some way they compliment each other and their slow-burning romance convinced me in their love story.

I loved dialogues between Robert and Millie, their were intellectual and and at the same time with a dose of the humor.

Why I gave only 5 stars? For me the plot twist with the false accusations of sedition was a little too hastily wrapped up. I wanted it explained a bit more and maybe get a glance of how they thought to change the things in a future.